TBF CIO membership covers not just the contributor, but also partners and other dependants.
The term ‘dependant’ is defined in our Constitution. Put simply it means that the person is dependent on a beneficiary.
As far as children are concerned, we will consider helping:
- A child under 19 who is supported wholly or partly by the beneficiary. We will generally take dependency for granted in such cases unless there are special circumstances.
- A person aged over 18 (formerly covered by the previous paragraph) who is still living with the beneficiary and has no income beyond that provided by the State. Generally such persons will never have worked due to a health condition or disability and will never have had an income above this level.
- A child under 22 in full time education and supported wholly or partly by the beneficiary, as long as they supply a Certificate of Enrolment for each new academic year.
In the case of adults we will consider helping:
- A legal spouse or civil partner who lives with the beneficiary.
- A legal spouse or civil partner who is not living with the beneficiary - but only where there are special circumstances and only where the beneficiary so wishes and where they are not seeking dependant status for any other adult.
- Another adult who lives with the beneficiary in a continuing relationship based on interdependency, but to whom they are not married or in a civil partnership and not related.
Provided the beneficiary was contributing at the time of their death (and had been doing so for at least five years while working in the public transport industry) or qualified for free membership following retirement from the industry we will consider helping:
- A person we accepted as an adult dependant when the beneficiary died, even if they marry or enter into a civil partnership or another relationship. They cannot however pass on dependency to any third person under any circumstances.
- Children we accepted as above, on a similar basis.
There is scope for interpreting these criteria in particular cases and we are pleased to consider any cases which do not seem to fit them.
"Thank you for the help towards my wife’s Osteopathy appointments, they seem to have done the trick!"
TBF member from Basingstoke